Sunday, May 30, 2010

I'm not a lawyer - please don't sue me!

I want to explain: I’m not a lawyer, so I probably don’t understand copyright laws as well as I should… and I’m not rich (far from it) so don’t sue me if I’ve infringed on your copy right….

Let me back up a bit:

If you read my previous posts you know that:

A) The Google Van came through Eyebrow – which is awfully big excitement here on the bald, flat prairie in the middle of nowhere.  I discovered this by accident while creating a link to Google maps showing where Eyebrow was in my first post.  This gave me hours of entertainment as I took a virtual tour of my town, peering in through my neighbor’s windows (kidding… I’m not stalking you, or a peeping Tom, or anything weird like that… much!) and then branched out to finding other people that I know and looking at their houses, and .… Hey, it’s a very small town – you make your own excitement.

B) Eyebrow is a very small town and quite a drive to the nearest city (I might be repeating myself here.)
Having finished with the virtual tour, I went looking for pictures of Eyebrow that I could share, to let you see what it was like – because I like doing those kind of things, it interests me so it will interest you as well – right?
Anyway – back to the point of “Not Being a Lawyer” and Copyright.  In my (admittedly incomplete) understanding, the information on the internet is posted (usually) for the world to see and share.  So long as I give proper credit to the person whose work I’m referencing it should be OK – right?  And they shouldn’t sue me for showing off something that they put onto the internet for others to see, if I give them credit and don’t claim it as my own – right? (I worry about these things , not really having the money to pay for a law suit against me!)

Focus Neil!  So, a google search for images found me a thumbnail of this wonderful aerial photo of Eyebrow.  With a link to the larger picture  and a link to the page where the picture came from  which gave me the error message: 

Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact the owner directly to gain access.”  and a link to Paul -but the photo couldn’t be found by following the link to Paul – nor is there contact information to reach Paul.

“What do I do,” I thought to myself.  It’s a really good picture – the best that I could find and not one that I could take myself – unlike Paul, I can’t fly.  Finally I decided, hey, I’m using it.  I’ve done my best to get permission and I’ve given you as much credit as I can give you.  If that’s not good enough – contact me and we’ll work something out.

Don’t sue me!  Please!

Here is the photo that caused me all the stress and anxiety!  Nice picture Paul!


No comments:

Post a Comment